*note: I added that condescending part myself, but that's definitely what her tone implied.
How much your life stinks on any given day is inversely proportional to how good a parking spot you get at the hospital.
It's true, here are some examples:
- You get to the hospital at 5am for surgery rotation: parking spot right next to the door.
- You're on outpatient and you don't have to be there till 8 or (gasp!) 9: forget it, you're parking on Mars... if you're lucky.
- You're on call on Sunday: park annnnnywhere you like.
- You take a study/research month, and mosey in around 11 for a quick meeting: don't even bother driving, take the train.
- You're on night float and get to the hospital at 7pm after everyone's left: park inside the ER for all we care.
So in summary: Life Happiness = 1/Parking Spot + B
where B includes other factors such as weather, fun dinner plans, an upcoming exam, world events, etc.
And that, my friends, is Math Made Easy by Elena.