Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Elena's Parking Space Theorum

Back in elementary school I had a teacher who told me not to worry (my pretty little head)* about math but just focus on the things I was naturally good at like reading and writing.  I've always had a bit of a complex about math since then, but LOOK AT ME NOW, I just invented a mathematical theorem:

*note: I added that condescending part myself, but that's definitely what her tone implied.


How much your life stinks on any given day is inversely proportional to how good a parking spot you get at the hospital.



It's true, here are some examples:
  • You get to the hospital at 5am for surgery rotation: parking spot right next to the door.
  • You're on outpatient and you don't have to be there till 8 or (gasp!) 9: forget it, you're parking on Mars... if you're lucky.
  • You're on call on Sunday: park annnnnywhere you like.
  • You take a study/research month, and mosey in around 11 for a quick meeting: don't even bother driving, take the train.
  • You're on night float and get to the hospital at 7pm after everyone's left: park inside the ER for all we care.



So in summary:  Life Happiness = 1/Parking Spot + B 

where B includes other factors such as weather, fun dinner plans, an upcoming exam, world events, etc.



And that, my friends, is Math Made Easy by Elena.

No comments:

Post a Comment