Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Post-Exam Slump

It's a real thing.  And apparently impossible to avoid.  Even when it's the most beautiful fall weather all week.  And even though I still get at least 7 hours of sleep the weekend before the exam because otherwise I am an incoherent zombie for 2 weeks.  It's just mental exhaustion.

When tests were every 3 weeks (like for our last class, IHR), it was no big deal to slack off the week after the exam.  You sleep in Tuesday, run all your errands on Wednesday, stress about how behind you are on Thursday, actually see your friends and family over the weekend.  And then you feel refreshed for the next week and spend it catching up, and then you still have ANOTHER whole week after you catch up to enter serious-I-mean-business study mode.

fall is so pretty, why am i so grumpy?
Now that tests are every other week, we don't have that buffer week, and you really can't afford to take a whole week off from the serious studying.  Or really more than a day.  I tried so hard not to let myself get in a downer mood this past week - I went to the gym the day after the exam, watched the lectures, went grocery shopping... and then the next day I just gave up.  I stayed on top of school work for the week, but everything else sort of fell by the wayside.  I don't think I've responded to an email since the last exam.  I don't know about everyone else, but I seriously need mental breaks after exams, and I'm going to have to figure out how to work those into my schedule because otherwise this is unsustainable for the next 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment