Friday, April 13, 2012

My Study Space

I recently moved to Jersey City.  I can't even begin to tell you how good it's been for my mental health to not be living in Newark anymore (sorry, Cory Booker - I'll happily move back if you marry me).  I felt very strongly about moving before second year classes ended so that we (Jenna and I) would be nice and settled before board studying began.  I love the new apartment for lots of reasons (reason #1 being washer and dryer IN the apartment - well, no, reason #1 being that I no longer live in a dorm), but it's also really conducive to studying.  Lots of windows and light plus a big dining room table where I can spread out all my study crap.  We each have a desk in our room too for a change of study atmosphere (or quiet alone time) when needed.

While I'm trying hard not to be obsessive-compulsive about studying (first of all, I can't with the construction going on across the street, and second of all, that's just not healthy), I think having a comfortable place to study is really important.  Plus I've been trying to pretend that my dining room is an office I have to go to each morning so I don't feel like such a lazy bum who never gets out of pajamas or goes outside - so I try to get dressed and eat breakfast before I go and sit down there, and I do things like eat lunch and dinner and procrastinate somewhere else (across the room on the couch).  Except for facebook, gchat, and reading Dear Prudence columns on Slate - I do those right in my "office" - don't tell my boss.  I do recognize that this does not fix the whole not-going-outside thing, just the lazy-bum-in-pajamas part.


So without further ado, here is my Step 1 study enclave:


Note: Bag of chocolate chips not a necessary part of the study atmosphere, but they certainly don't hurt
Second note: Buddha is good luck

2 comments:

  1. I randomly stumbled onto your site and I now check every day for updates. Can't wait to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! Glad to have you as a reader!!

    ReplyDelete